BigBlueBotton (BBB) is open source virtual classroom software that has been designed around the real-world needs of teachers, students, and schools. It’s available in 55 languages. It is a part of learning management system (LMS).
Instructure, Schoology, Jenzabar and D2L all ship their LMS with a native integration for BigBlueButton, and Moodle and Sakai have offer plugins for deep integration.
BBB is learning tools interoperability (LTI) 1.0 compliant for widest adoption.
CLASSROOM RESPONSE SYSTEM
This kind of tool can be effectively used in virtual and hybrid classroom, whenever the streaming from single user-camera in the classroom is needed with following options:
- Almost unlimited size of connected user (depends on server and API configurations).
- Teacher can engage students with use of:
- Sharing white board,
- Displaying uploaded presentation,
- Sharing the desktop,
- Voting/simple quiz option,
- Splitting students into internal groups (rooms).
- Possibility to restrict user and time access to the classroom and communication option (mute all or individual users).
- Possibility of recording the classroom.
- Automated presence list.
Only simple voting/quiz is possible with bulk response.
Use cases/examples of usage: (tutorial)
Strenght: It’s easy to use in streaming classroom when API is configured or embedded into LMS; open source.
Weakness: Need of installation and configuration. Limiting demo online use through https://demo.bigbluebutton.org/
People opinion about the tool: https://www.capterra.com/p/162664/BigBlueButton/reviews/
Similar Tool: Webex, to some extent: Zoom Meetings; Skype; BrainCert; StarLeaf.
Technical and operational requirements: PC/mobile in order to create meeting and access.
License Tool: Open source with options.