E-mail is the transmission of electronic mail/messages from one internet user to another.
E-mail software is intended to communicate important information between lecturers and students. Features include address books, app-based integration tools, mailing lists, file sharing, folders, and more.
There are several different software programs that can be used to send emails. Some of them are Outlook, Google Workspace, Zoho Mail, Front, Titan, Protonmail, Microsoft Exchange Online, Microsoft Exchange Server 2019, Spike and MDaemon Email Server, etc.
Every lecturer or staff member in higher education institutions and all students have an email address. E-mail is the primary way of communication between lecturers and students in most universities. Through email communication the content is clear and straightforward.
E-mail software provides various functions such as:
- Storage Space – Most email software offers a free amount of storage space just by signing up for the software. This can typically range between 15 and 50 GB. Depending on your budget and company size, email software will offer your company more or less storage space for varying prices. The main aspect to consider here is the amount of email you receive on a daily basis and how that quantity of email can overwhelm your server over time. If your email software only offers a limited amount of free space, this can easily burden the server and cause it to slow down.
- Address Books – Having a list of all your client contacts is a great way for your company to stay organized. Client information and email lists can easily be kept within an email solution’s built-in address book.
- Email Filters – A key feature of most email platforms is the ability to filter your inbox so you can easily find the most relevant messages. The main benefit for businesses is to block any potential threats from entering the company’s server as well as filter out any unwanted messages.
- App-Based Integration Tools – Many forms of email software provide productivity and collaboration suites that are beneficial additions to signing up for their software. Lots of these features can help increase office efficiency with tools such as video conferencing, spreadsheets, and document creation. Depending on your company’s size, this can be a great way to centralize all of your office needs in one place.
- File Attachment – Email software allows users to attach files when sending messages. Files can range from simple Word documents to detailed presentations and videos. The major benefit to businesses is the removal of the need for a USB to transport data. Instead, anyone can send large files via the internet to accelerate efficiency.
- Email Automation – An example of email automation is when a new user receives a welcome email when they sign up, which may indicate instructions on how to start using the site as well as any new features that the company has been working on. This is a great benefit for businesses, as they no longer have to manually send out emails to every new user. It also helps grow your company’s subscriber list, which will help improve sales.
- IMAP – An Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is responsible for the mobile access that virtually every email solution provides. This feature is vital to organizations with a remote workforce or employees who travel frequently.
Use cases/examples of usage: (tutorial)
Strenght: E-mails provide a faster and easy means of communication. One can send messages to any person at any place in the world.
Weakness: It is source of viruses. It is capable to harm one’s computer and read out user’s e-mail address book and send themselves to number of people around the world.
People opinion about the tool:
Similar Tool: ProofHub; Slack; HubSpot CRM; Google Hangouts; Groove.
Technical and operational requirements: PC; touchscreen devices; smartphone; tablet.