YouTube is a global online video sharing and social media platform. Into YouTube you can find promotional materials, viral videos, tutorials, entertainment content, educational content, website information, and a lot more.
ONLINE VIDEO SHARING AND SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM
The production of student learning videos (or blog posts) is one method to stimulate the construction of knowledge. Students have to search information and to understand their topic very good to produce a video.
The method ‘learning by teaching’ is combined with flipped classroom. The students produce a video instead of making a presentation for their classmates. Learning by teaching would include further a peer to peer process, in which the students would organize the lesson and support their classmates in the learning process. In this scenario the students often only produce the videos while the teacher facilitate the setting of the learning process and video production.
YouTube has several pro:
- Educational video: YouTube has a lot of tutorials you can learn from. Some of the uploaded content is about something you never knew and through watching the video you can learn something.
- New content: YouTube has new content all the time. Some of the YouTubers have an upload schedule where they post new content for their follows, you can’t go short of content on YouTube.
- Branding out different mediums: YouTube can be used as a platform for creating podcasts where they interview celebrities or other YouTubers. Can also be used to create vlogs.
- Collaboration: YouTubers can come together and create great content for their audience. Imagine your favorite YouTubers coming together and collaborating on a certain topic, the results are fantastic.
- Videos don’t have to be watched in a sequential manner: You can decide to watch a certain video clip or not or just forward a clip to the specific part you’re interested in. Unlike a TV show which you have to follow from beginning to the end.
- Free: There are a lot of insightful videos and instruction manuals you can access from YouTube for free.
- Marketing content: YouTube can be used to create viral content which is aimed at generating traffic to a business. It is an essential tool for marketing your products.
- Available on every device: You can access YouTube from any device, there is no restriction on any device or operating system. You can access it through any web browser and mobile apps.
- Learn different cultures: Watching content uploaded by various creators all over the world can help you learn a few slang about a certain country.
- Source of entertainment: YouTube can act as a source of entertainment for your whole family. There are plenty of movies, TV shows, Music videos, and other entertaining content you can access on YouTube.
Use cases/examples of usage: (tutorial)
Strenght: Live streaming via mobile was initially restricted to users with at least 10,000 subscribers, but as of mid-2017 it has been reduced to 100 subscribers. Live streams support HDR, can be up to 4K resolution at 60 fps, and also support 360° video.
Weakness: Inappropriate content: Although there are filters to restrict inappropriate content, some people always find ways to bypass them and upload inappropriate content for everyone to see like hate speech. Violence content: Some youths are recording violent content to post on YouTube. There is also other violent content posted.
People opinion about the tool: https://www.getapp.com/all-software/a/youtube/reviews/
Similar Tool: Vimeo; Vadoo; Flowplayer.
Technical and operational requirements: YouTube primarily uses the VP9 and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codecs, and the Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP protocol. MPEG-4 Part 2 streams contained within 3GP containers are also provided for low bandwidth connections. By January 2019, YouTube had begun rolling out videos in AV1 format. In 2021 it was reported that the company was considering requiring AV1 in streaming hardware in order to decrease bandwidth and increase quality. Video is usually streamed alongside the Opus and AAC audio codecs.
License Tool: YouTube Premium (formerly Music Key and YouTube Red) is a subscription service offered by the video platform YouTube. The service provides ad-free access to content across the service, as well as access to premium YouTube Originals programming produced in collaboration with the site’s creators, downloading videos and background playback of videos on mobile devices, and access to the YouTube Music, music streaming service.